Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What's for Dinner Wednesday--Coconut Cream Pie (not faking it, all from scratch!)

Well last night as I ate a less than wonderful new recipe that I had planned to share today, I wondered, what will I post for What's for Dinner Wednesday? Throughout the week, there are two days I try to never miss, today and Saturday (or sometimes Sunday, whichever one) that is 'Silent' (just pictures and captions) These are the two easiest ones for me to come up with and since I cook 15 to 20 meals a week, finding something to write about is usually simple as well. While working around the house I threw together the items for a crockpot dish that I had ran across that LOOKED mouthwatering............. when we had it last night, eh, not so much. So that was the basis of my dilemma...

As I lay in bed last night, for some reason the time change still seems to be affecting me, I lay in bed at night and can't go to sleep, then drag around in the mornings......... Finally I came up with the recipe to share. For me, it isn't totally so much about the recipe, it's partly that I wouldn't have a picture of just anything to share..........which I realize shouldn't matter. Case in point, the recipe I  had tried that LOOKED pretty and didn't deliver from supper.

This last weekend our church had their annual Pie Auction. This year we raised money for the Relay for life, as we have a team within the church this year. Normally I steer pretty clear of pie baking. My mother in law is a master and her pies are known for miles and miles (I am not exaggerating, they rock!) Since she does a great job, I just generally don't try to compete. But, this event is about the auction. While I sometimes just go with what I know and bake a batch of cookies. Cookies ARE my thing, I would put mine up against anyone.

I sucked it up this year and got to work Saturday afternoon. First the crust, and here's The Farmer's mothers recipe: 3cups flour, 1 cup shortening (or LARD, she always uses it, if she has it on hand, but I can't bring myself to so mine is usually good ol' Crisco) 3/4 cup water, and 1 tsp salt.
Cut the shortening into the flour/salt mixture, then mix in water. She says you can get 3 bottoms, 2 tops out of this recipe, I do good to get 2 and 2............but alas, I am not pie baker. ;)

For the Coconut Cream pie, you need a baked pie crust, which I baked mine about 15 minutes at 375. While it was baking, I made the filling and meringue.

For Meringue, 4 egg whites, beat until frothy. Then add 6 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

For filling, in a small bowl, beat 4 egg yolks and sit aside. In a medium sized saucepan cook 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 cups of milk. Cook over medium high heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Continue to to  boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Add about 1/4 of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs and combine well, then add back to the sauce pan. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and quickly add in 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of flaked coconut. Pour into pie shell.

Add the meringue to the top, making sure to seal it to the edges of the pie crust. Sprinkle a little more of the coconut and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the meringue and coconut are toasted.



My finished pie ready for Auction
 I would never call myself a pie baker, but I would like to invite anyone to try this recipe, I think if I can make it, anyone can. The only thing I will say is that last Saturday, I only made HALF of the pie crust recipe and had some 'leftover' that got thrown away. (my kids were mad, Grandma usually bakes the extra and puts cinnamon and sugar on it for them, sigh) This recipe can made in about 1 hour, probably more like 45 minutes. So in my opinion, that qualifies it as a quick dessert and it certainly WOWS the crowd.

If you get time to try, please let me know how it turned out for you. And if you are a master pie baker like my MIL, please share any tips! :)

Looking forward to the end of wrestling season so I can go back to cooking and baking anything I want to and the guy watching his weight can eat whatever he likes as well,

From Tulip~
KH
:)

No comments: