Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What's for Dinner Wednesdays--Gooey Butter Cookies AKA Cake Mix Cookies

I guess when I am sharing a cookie recipe, I should probably call this What's for Dessert Wednesday? LOL The recipe I am going to share today is definitely a "6 Star" recipe. Everyone in my household LOVES these cookies. In fact I am not sure I have ever served/shared them with anyone who does not like them. This is the recipe that my boys both requested (along with homemade ice cream) for the dessert at their graduation party INSTEAD of a cake.

While this recipe is wildly popular, that's not even the reason I like to make these cookies. I like to make these cookies because its one of the simplest recipes I have, with the fewest ingredients, that are all likely ones I have on hand at all times.

Here are the ingredients: A cake mix, a brick of cream cheese, a stick of butter, an egg, and a little vanilla. Plus you will need some powdered sugar to roll the cookies in before baking.

Let the cream cheese and butter soften. Add them to the cake mix, egg and vanilla. I generally use a pastry cutter to mix these up. I have been known to throw the ingredients into a gallon zip lock bag and hand to a kid to mix up. Once the ingredients are well combined. Refrigerate to cool the dough, I have done this as short of a time as 30 minutes or as long as 2 or 3 days. Make sure you've covered the dough while its in the fridge, so it doesn't dry out.

Roll chilled dough into balls, or use a cookie scoop or however you 'make' cookies. Roll in powdered sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. I use a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

This recipe, using my medium Pampered Chef cookie scoop consistently makes 30 cookies.

Variations: I think when I originally saw this recipe, it called for a yellow cake mix. But I have made it with Red Velvet, Chocolate, Funfetti (Cody and Sam's favorite) and Lemon cake mixes. I don't think you can go wrong with any mix as long as the flavor is a favorite of your family.

These cookies are moist and simply wonderful. Try them soon.

You tell schools out and we are getting into our summer groove---will try to get back here more regularly than weekly--YIKES,

From Tulip~

KH

:)

No comments: