Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ag Week Special Post------What's for Dinner Wednesday---Sweetheart Pudding

I planned to do a beef recipe today, but life got in the way. I wanted to tie every post this week to something Ag related since its Ag week, well, the closest tie I can bring into this one is that it is my Farmer's favorite dessert and one that I have served to hay crews, off the back on the pick-up, at fairs and it seems like it was one that I made when The Farmer did customer appreciation days for his seed corn customers, so that's as close as it gets.

Here goes, enjoy:

My grandmother is definitely of the generation that cooks everything from scratch. The recipe this week is an old one. It's one that she got from my Great Aunt who got it from one of her Amish neighbors about 60 years ago. Guessing with their families, this recipe was likely a cut down version of the original.

Sweetheart Pudding (no idea why its called Sweetheart, always wondered if there was a story behind it)
One package Graham crackers (1/3 of a box) crushed
1 C sugar divided
1/2 C butter, melted
2 T flour
2 C milk
2 eggs, separated
1 t vanilla




Combine crushed graham cracker (reserving a little bit to garnish the topping), melted butter and 1/2 C sugar and press into small baking dish (8x8 or equivolent) Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

In a small saucepan combine rest of ingredients except vanilla. Cook until thick. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour into pan. Beat the egg whites. Add a little sugar.
Spoon over the pudding (my grandma's always looks so nice and neat, mine not so much) then sprinkle the remaining graham cracker crumbs. Brown in the oven, and serve.


I used the Pampered Chef oval baker and made a double batch. My family gobbled it up.  No leftovers at this house.


I loved sharing this recipe as it's on of my family's favorites. It's likely one that anyone could make as all the ingredients are generally found in your cabinets. Hope you enjoy this one as much as we do.

Knowing I shared a 'winner' this week as its one of my Grandma's favorites and she's a cooking rock star,
From Tulip~
KH
:)


No comments: